Criteria for Indie/New Works Theatre participation
The following criteria are required for Indie/New Works theatres and productions interested in participating in the Ostrander process.
Want to submit your production for Ostrander consideration?
- Eligible companies perform in Shelby County, unless approved by the Ostrander Director.
- Participating theatres agree to provide complimentary tickets for Ostrander judges, according to the current voting process.
- Companies must select and publicize the show dates by July 1 for the following Ostrander year.
- Qualifying productions must run at least 2 weekends with a minimum of 6 performances.
- Plays produced by the same theatre family within 7 years of the original production will be considered a remount of the original production and ineligible for consideration.
- If a show has been double cast, theatres will inform the judges which actor should be judged. There must be ample time for all required judges to see the designated actor.
- Judges must receive notice of any schedule changes at least 3 weeks in advance.
- Out-of-town directors, actors, choreographers, and technical staff are eligible to receive an Ostrander.
- Play readings and workshops will not be considered for judging.
- The Ostrander committee does not judge children’s productions or children’s theatre companies.
- Productions for “new works” must meet the criteria for original works.