Criteria for Community Theatre participation
The following criteria are required for community theatres interested in participating in the Ostrander process.
If your theatre or organization has always wanted to participate in the Memphis Ostrander Awards, but you weren't sure how, then don't miss this happy hour! Elizabeth Perkins will answer your questions as well as get your input on possible future expansion of the program.
- Eligible companies have produced a minimum of three (3) shows per season for a minimum of three (3) consecutive years.
- Eligible companies perform in Shelby County, unless approved by the Ostrander Director.
- Participating theatres agree to provide complimentary tickets for Ostrander judges, according to the current voting process.
- Companies must select and publish a season of a minimum of three shows by July 1 for the following Ostrander year.
- Qualifying productions must run at least 2 weekends with a minimum of 8 performances.
- Plays produced by the same theatre family within 7 years of the original production, and with at least 50% of the original principal cast, will be considered a remount of the original production and ineligible for consideration.
- If a show has been double cast, theatres will inform the judges which actor should be judged. There must be ample time for all required judges to see the designated actor.
- Judges must receive notice of any schedule changes at least 3 weeks in advance.
- Out-of-town directors, actors, choreographers, and technical staff are eligible to receive an Ostrander.
- Play readings and workshops will not be considered for judging.
- The Ostrander committee does not judge children’s productions or children’s theatre companies.